Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Fallout

Camera in hand I headed out to take a few last photos of the fall garden.  I was pleasantly surprised to still see such color and interest even as we enter the month of November.

My Accolade Elm has turned a beautiful golden color.  This is the tree that lost over a third of its root system in the spring with the gas company digging to repair a pipe, hope it survives.

My neighbor's Red Maple stands out among the other still green leaved trees in the background.


Home Run Pink continues to bloom without clipping off the spent buds.


Rose hips have formed on Pink Meidiland rose.

Knockout Rainbow is stunning this time of year!

Home Run Red

Cinco De Mayo

Eupatorium Chocolate is always a pleasant surprise at the end of the summer.

The black potato vine has held up much better than the green ones, not as trailing but much hardier.

The display of seedheads on Panicum Northwind

Sedum Autum Fire in the alley garden

Sedum Vera Jameson in the alley garden

Echinacea Meadowbrite Mango

We harvested this lettuce for our Halloween dinner and it was delicious.

Solomon's Seal is a delicate beauty even in the fall.

I call them my Dinosaur Ferns but I know they have a Latin name?

These are the Autumn Ferns that I planted this summer in the bed under the Chanticleer Pear.  I have cut back the Lirope to plant bulbs.  The ferns must like it because they have doubled in size.

Hydrangea Unique
This specimen does not weather as well as Limelight but is certainly worth growing for its long panicles which can be cut at various stages of color and dried.  I think I will cut the rest of the flowers off for spraying with color for the holidays, maybe gold!

The plumes of Miscanthus Udine

Pansies by the veggie garden

Heuchera Southern Comfort
They will keep their color all winter.

Heuchera Carmel

The front resin planter has done well with the swiss chard in the background.

I have not done the mustard before but I like it for its dark coloring and height.

Rudbeckia Tiger Eye
I think Rudbeckia is my new favorite, blooms for an extended time into the fall and can take a light frost.


Plumbago is a great fall groudcover with blue flowers and leaves that turn a deep red.

I have lots of allysum that still looks great.  I will leave it until spring, shake it out and it will reseed all over.

25 comments:

Dave@TheHomeGarden said...

Beautiful! It's hard to believe you haven't had a frost yet this year. We had another one last night. Love the heucheras!

gardeningnaturallywithclaudia.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for reminding us that fall color is more than the tree tops. I agree with Dave, the heucheras are a delight in winter when everything else is gone. They look like a bright salad.

Larry said...

The color just doesn't seem to end this season... and there is still much to come here in my gardens... it started early and is ending late... such an odd year in so many respects! Larry

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Eileen I can't get over what beautiful tree leaves you have there .. we had next to none ! I have never seen a year like this yet! .. I love the gold leaves against the dark bark of your elm and I hope it will be alright for you too! .. lots of colour in your garden yet and I laughed about those VERY BAD squirrels and how they taunt you with the bulbs !!OMG! LOL
Joy .. hey they could be eating mine and I have no clue until Spring ? LOL

GRACE PETERSON said...

Beautiful photos, Eileen. Your gardens have so much in bloom still. Even the neighbor's tree--a borrowed view, if you will. Wonderful.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

I know Dave, it is a strange year, usually we have had a frost by now!

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Claudia,

I love certain Heucheras in the fall and all winter, some stay vibrant some don't.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Larry, it is an unusual year in that we have not even had a frost yet. I still have sweet potato vine going strong.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Joy, the squirrels and chipmunks are out in full force looking for bulbs.

We have had lots of color here this year and very slow leaf drop, no frost yet!

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Grace,

I love the fact that I have the neighbor's view on four sides to add to my landscape.

Eileen

garden girl said...

This is the third year in a row we haven't had frost here yet by now. It's nice having some extra time to bring the tender plants in.

Still lots of wonderful color in your garden Eileen. The heucheras are great all winter, although with the snow cover we've had in recent years, they've rarely been visible here over the winter.

We have that mustard in our veggie garden . . . hot stuff!

Lona said...

I cannot believe the leaves you have yet on the trees. They are so lovely Eileen. I love the shot of your Miscanthus Udine grass. Your planters still look so pretty.

Beth said...

So colorful, so beautiful, Eileen! The trees, roses and your fall planters look great. I enjoyed seeing the sweet alyssum as well. Mine pretty much died out in the heat.

joey said...

You have captured the essence of autumn beauty, Eileen. Thank you for sharing these memorable moments.

Jennifer@threedogsinagarden said...

Hi Eileen, I do hope that your Elm recovers. It looks glorious in its fall colors. I like how you have mixed swiss chard in with your pansies. It adds height and a nice accent of bright red. Your mixed greens look like they would be delicious. Do you make any use of a cold frame to keep your vegetables and herbs going? Cold frames are something I want to learn more about and so I have asked a fellow blogger to do a guest post tomorrow on the subject.

Darla said...

Just beautiful, everything! I love the look of that all mustard too. Those trees ares stunning as well!

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi GG,

That's unusual that we are so late with the frost three years in a row. I guess all I can remember is that ton of snow.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Lona,

With the rain we have had all day today, the leaves are turning and falling fast. I am amazed that we have not had a frost yet.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Thanks Beth,

I actually like the old allysum and not the new one snowstorm, it really got out of bounds.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Thanks Joey,

Blogging really makes you notice the changing seasons.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Jennifer,

I just planted the lettuce in the fall in containers on my patio instead of in the veggie garden. I did use a cold frame years ago for my flower seedlings, now I start them under lights and just bring them in and out to harden off.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Thanks Darla,

I guess that mustard is very hot, told to me by the people that grow it in their vegetable gardens.

Eileen

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Eileen, I can't believe you still have all those blooms!!!

Karen said...

Eileen, I so enjoyed strolling through your garden today. I should have thought about leaving my alyssum in, that was silly of me! I'll do better next year.

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

I love all of these fabulous photos. Fall is such a lovely time of year. Your garden is such eye candy. i have thoroughly enjoyed my visit. I am your newest follower. Please stop by and say hello. Linda