Friday, April 20, 2012

Around The Garden

We are definitely back to a more normal springtime, cool nights even frost warnings and daytime temperatures in the fifties.  I covered my clematis which is just about ready to break into full bloom.

Clematis Bourbon
This is a smaller clematis, about six feet, perfect for a teuter.  It is covered right now with a black plastic bag because of a possible frost.  Clematis do very well if the flower is closed up tight but these are open and will be more susceptible.

This is Azalea Karen with daffodil Thalia coming up in the middle.  I have another one next to it that is at least a week behind, has buds but just beginning to bloom.  This is a mystery to me right now!

Allium Purple Sensation

Variegated Solomon's Seal

Dicentra Eximia
I have cut away some of the Solomon's Seal so that this small plant which blooms all summer has some exposure.  Don't hesitate to trim out plants that overshadow others.

The pansies will take the light frost but it seems just as they are doing great it is time to pull them out and plant the summer containers!

10 comments:

BernieH said...

What a shame the Pansies have to come out. They do look good right now. That variegated Solomon's Seal is a terrific looking plant too. I'm glad to hear your Spring is getting back to normal. Your garden is looking quite lovely.

Jenny said...

These are gorgeous. It sounds like your temperature is like it is here in Holland. But we have more rain, I think. It is good to be home in Holland. :)Jenny

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Bernie,

The psnsies do no do well in the heat. I have tried many years to keep them in other areas that are cooler but to no avail.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Jenny,

From your photos Holland does look like the same climate we are having. From heat to covering plants up at night for fear of frost.

Eileen

Lona said...

That is such a pretty clematis Eileen. You have quite a few of them don't you? The azalea is so bright and beautiful. It is a mystery how two of the same plants do not bloom at the same time. It is bothersome when you plant them for the purpose of blooming at the same time.Your pot pf pansies looks so cute. Cool here too.

Beth said...

Hi Eileen, Your yard is looking just great. Our temps now are mirroring yours...in fact, we are probably sending them your way. I am anxious for the soil to dry from our recent rain as I have lots of garden work to do. Larry Conrad was here last week and he gave me numerous plants, including variegated Solomon's seal, like yours. Have a good wknd!

garden girl said...

I'm relieved the temps have cooled down, even if it's extra effort protecting some of more tender stuff.

Your clematis is beautiful, Eileen.

I picked up some variegated Solomon's seal last fall at a plant swap, and am loving it. Looking forward to seeing a nice, full patch of it in a full years - so pretty!

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Lona,

I do have quite a few clematis and always have room for one more. My garden is small but it is easy to add vertical interest. I would like to try some of the doubles.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi Beth,

I am going to cover that blooming clematis again tonight. I don't have enough covers to do all of the plants I am worried about.

Eileen

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Hi GG,

You will love the variegated Solomon's Seal, looks good all summer and fall.

Eileen